Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday Pancakes

Today was a rather thundery, dark and not so wet Saturday. The thunder made you think it was going to rain but it didn’t still it was nice cool day not too hot or humid as it was yesterday and its actually a good day to sleep in which I did *grins*. I think it doesn’t hurt to sleep in once in a while. I wanted to head out to the beach but I didn’t seeing the weather could have ruined my day at the beach so in the end I decided to stay home and read, relax do a bit of journaling and pampering. I did however do some cooking. Pancakes for lunch lol yeah it’s a possibility especially when you slept in ..anyways …

Cooking seem to always pick me up apart from writing. I decided to make pancakes today seeing its Saturday and I am in no rush to go anywhere or do anything. I was craving for traditional pancakes . After having did a search for recipes I decided to give my taste buds a new taste of pancakes by attempting to make ‘Oatmeal pancakes’. In all my life this is the first time I have heard of oatmeal pancakes. So I attempted it and it came out pretty good at least for me. I didn’t even use syrup on it – was good on its own. Though I added some flax seeds which is full of nutrients – its good for cholesterol control for one and its great toasted eaten by itself or sprinkled over cereal or salad. Cinnamon was another ingredient that I added to the mix. There is something special about cinnamon in its taste and appearance. I read that cinnamon sprinkled over toast is good for sugar regulation plus it tastes great… The smell of cinnamon reminds me of my moms layered cake yummy …. Anyways here is a picture of the pancakes , I attempted cutting the pancake in half with a butter knife obviously it didn’t come out as well lol but you cant win them all ..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try them … This recipe makes 4 servings , I used a small round skillet for this and it’s a little smaller than your regular pancakes.

Oatmeal Pancakes.

Ingredients
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
1 tbsp white sugar (I used brown instead)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda aka bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup buttermilk*
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tbsp flax seeds (optional)
½ tbsp cinnamon powder (optional)

Directions
1- Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flax seeds and salt in a

bowl.
2- Beat the buttermilk, vegetable oil and egg.
3-Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you get a smooth
consistency. Some of the reviews from this recipe said that it was kind of
thick so you can adjust it to your liking. I did and it came out fine
4-Ladle about 2 tbsp into a skillet and let it cook. Again the amount you ladle
into the skillet is up to you.

*Note:

Buttermilk substitute.
I have tried looking for buttermilk at NTUC supermarket obviously they don’t have it there. The only place I know that sells them is cold storage, Jason’s and Raffles Market Place so I found a list of buttermilk substitutes that can be used….

1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk plus 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice. Let it
stand for 10mins before using in the recipe.
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk plus 1 and ¾ tsp cream of tartar.
1 cup buttermilk = ½ cup milk plus ¾ cup yogurt.

Happy Trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home