Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Asian Dessert - Bubuer Kacang Hijau

Kacang hijau’ translated means green beans. I searched the web for its English name but I cant find it . It gave me back different kind of beans but not the one I was looking for. So I call them green bean sprout seeds … Sometimes we take certain words in our language for granted and when it comes time to explain or translate were at a lost but that’s were pictures come in and below is a picture of the bean in question.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Mung beans that’s what they are .. I finally found the right term for these green beans. These beans remind of a science project we did back in the day. We put these seeds into a wet cotton ball and let it sit in a bowl and after a while it grows into bean sprouts. It was fun though its like watching your own baby grow ..

Anyways aside from being turned into bean sprouts under the right conditions it’s a great desert too. They use these mung beans in quiet a number of Malay and Chinese deserts. One of the easiest and one of my favorites is something called ‘Bubur kacang hijau’ or ‘ green bean porridge’ . Its simple and though it takes time for the beans to soften its worth the wait.

Bubur Kacang Hijau aka ‘Mung bean porridge

Ingredients
2 cups mung beans
2 cups coconut milk
1 – 1 ½ cups gula melaka (palm sugar)
Pandan leaves aks screwpine leaves ( tied into a knot)
1 cup water
Pinch of salt

Directions:
1- Cook the mung beans in water until its softens. You could even soak it over
night but I prefer boiling them till it softens up.
2- Half way through add in the pandan leaves.
3- When the beans are cooked add in the coconut milk, palm sugar and salt stir together. Cook for a few more minutes until all the flavors are infused.

The finished product shouldn’t be too runny or too thick. An in-between consistency would be the best outcome. Add water in between but not much because this dish needs the thickness of the coconut milk to make it work.

If you’re not big on coconut milk you could possible lessen it. I am not sure about using milk for this though. I do know there are coconut milk which is cholesterol free and its much healthier than most.

When I left mine to sit it thicken up so my mother rectified it by adding more water to get the desired affect. This was my first attempt at this and I think it was ok for a first timer. :D my mom says so lol anyways ..

The thing to remember that it shouldn’t be too thick or too runny …

Happy Trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home