Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Risking Syam...

Today I took a risk – not the kind of risks that are life changing or anything just a risk in cooking a dish that I dread – I have cooked it a few times and it didn’t come out the way mom did it – which left me helpless. I love the way she makes it and hers and my late grandma’s version are the only versions I eat – yeah I can be a fussy eater sometimes *grin*..

So anyways the dish in question is simply called ‘masak syam’. To translate it directly it would mean ‘cooking syam’ though it really means a dish from Syam . Back in the say Syria was known as Syam at least that’s my understanding and till this day the older folks in my family refers to Syria as Syam.

Masak Syam or Syam Stew as I like to call it in English, is a simple and delicious dish. Its an easy dish to put together when you have the correct recipe – I obviously didn’t (shame on me heheee). My mom wanted to have that for the morning meal – and I had the daunting task of cooking it. To be on the safe side I asked that she gave me the recipe again and yes I did mess up the first few times probably because I missed certain steps – what was I thinking then………

I have to admit I wasn’t really confident in making it this time round but as I went along and saw that it started to look a lot like how mom & grandma made it I was a happy camper. I didn’t taste it yet so I don’t know how it turned out really it looks the same now it all comes down to the taste.- I am waiting for mom to have it and see what she says., ill update later ..

Masak Syam is something we grew up on. Its part of a long list of family recipes which bring back memories and are worth keeping. It’s like curry but minus the heat. You can even call it a stew. The choice of meat can be either beef mutton or chicken. And it can be eaten with rice or a variety of breads like pita bread, French loaf or whatever bread you have at hand. Masak Syam is tomato base as many of the dishes that originate from the Mediterranean.

For my friends observing the fast you might like to try this recipe – I guarantee it’s yummy. I have included the recipe with this blog entry,,

The measurements are how I make it , because when I was taught this recipe a few years ago I was not given accurate measurements it was a pinch of this or two pieces of this – it seems back in the day cooking was done playing by ear. But this is the closest I can get to accuracy and I hope it turns out just as well ..

Here is my version followed the recipe …

Photobucket Image Hosting

Masak Syam or Syam Stew

Ingredients

300gm beef sirloin thinly sliced about ½ inch thick.

(any choice of meat is fine and any cut)

2 potatoes cut in circles

3 tomatoes (coarsely chopped)

One handful fried onions*

2 cloves

2 cardamoms

½ inch cinnamon stick

½ tbsp cumin power

¼ tbsp black pepper powder

½ tbsp ginger & garlic paste.

(you can adjust the spices to suit your tastebuds)

Ghee (clarified butter)

(olive oil can be used for a healthier alternative)

Salt to taste

Method

  1. Slice meat then boil meat in water until tender.
  2. Once the meat is tender, throw in the whole spices and fry the meat with ghee for about 5 mins.
  3. Mix the cumin power, black pepper powder & ginger garlic paste with a little water to form a paste.
  4. add the spices to the meat and fry for another 3 minutes or until the flavors are infused
  5. Add the tomatoes and a cup of water and cook until the tomatoes are mashed – half way through add the potatoes.
  6. After the potatoes are mashed add the fried onions and about a ½ cup of water and salt. Simmer for about 10mins or until the potatoes are tender or you reached the consistency that you like.

If you like it thick or with a little more gravy you can add in more tomatoes. The tomatoes will give out a golden brownish tone when combined with the fried onions. If you’re wondering what fried onions are, the explanation is on my next blog.

I hope someone tries this, trust me its worth the effort .....

Happy Cooking ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home