Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Love What You're Doing

I can really relate to this write up from Daily Inspirations. It’s about loving what you do even when there are setbacks in your life. There are two things that I love doing baking & writing and I have noticed when life seems to be too overwhelming I tend to stop – loose motivation. I can’t afford for this to happen in my love for baking because it will be my source of income someday.

I remembered a few months ago when someone I know promised me a big cake order, they came over for a cake tasting and consultation. They choose a cake and the favors and only to come back later and tell me someone else was sponsoring their wedding cake & favors so they had to cancel the order. That almost killed my passion for ever wanting to venture into the cake business but mom who has been running the business for over 50 years comforted me and really thinking back this was a woman who has been doing what she loves which is baking & cake decorating for over 50 years and still loving it in spite of the loss of a husband and the illnesses that came her way. That was motivation enough for me to want to continue to do this. Apart from it being a legacy it’s something I love doing so thanks Ummi for being the cake wonder that you are …..

Having cancelled orders is probably a small price to pay compared to having physical challenges or health challenges. I think a bad back is not something to hold one back from baking – nothing a good massage wont fix.

I am very inspired by this write up and I hope it inspires who ever reads this in not giving up your passions and the thing you love to do in spite of the setbacks.

Love What You’re Doing …

You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can
overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains,
and continue to play for a long, long time." ~ Gordie Howe

Hockey legend Gordie Howe (1928-), born in Floral, Saskatchewan,
played for 32 years, spanning five decades (1946-1980), more than
any professional athlete in any team sport.

When Mr. Hockey retired on this day in 1980, he held nearly every
NHL scoring record, including most goals (801), most assists
(1,049), and most games played (1,767).

"If you've lost a game and learned nothing, then you've truly lost,"
he once observed.

Howe's passion for hockey began when he was six. Growing up, he used
newspapers for shin pads and old tennis balls for pucks. At 18, he
played for the Detroit Red Wings, then three years later survived a
near fatal head injury on the ice, crashing head-first into the
boards.

That was the first of many injuries for the resilient hero.
According to The Sporting News, Howe in hockey took more than 400
stitches and broke his nose and his ribs. "Gordie's gone through so
much in his career," reflected his wife Colleen. "You name it, he's
had it."

Following reconstructive surgery on both knees, Howe was diagnosed
with skin cancer on his left shin in November 1999. With an
excellent prognosis, the tough legend keeps going. "You find that
you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and
rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you
gave -- win or lose."

Wayne Gretsky said of Howe, "They always tell you when you meet your
heroes and idols, you walk away saying, 'Well, they're not that
nice, or just OK.' But Gordie, he was bigger and better than I ever
imagined."

~~You've got to love what you're doing

source:dailyinspiration.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home