Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Spicy Fried Kuey Teow aka Rice Noodles



I had a good time at the market I usually do. When I was younger I dreaded the market especially on a Sunday but I seem to be enjoying it now even more.When I was younger the market I frequented was at Geylang Serai and what I really liked it about it was the array of local cakes that was sold there. That was one of the perks of going to the market ;)) .. Anyways my plans of making fried rice changed when is aw some beautiful kuey teow so I decided to make fried kuey teow. I think this will be one long carb weekend cause tomorrow I am definitely making fried rice seeing that I have already cooked the rice hehee anyways .. here is the recipe for this dish. But before that some information on kuey teow …


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Kuey teow are noodles made from rice flour. It comes in various thicknesses. It is a soft and tender and its usually fresh compared to other ride noodles. These noodles are either fried or eaten with soup either way its really good. Rice noodles can be found all over South East Asia though it has different variations.

Within Malaysia and Singapore the Malays, Chinese and Indians have their own way of frying these noodles. Mine would be the Malay version which I learnt from my mom like always I have a habit of changing the recipe about ;))..

Below are pictures of some of the little known ingredients used. They include mustard leaves or ‘daun sawi ‘ as its known in Malay, then we have the bean sprouts or ‘taugeh’. I anti taugeh when I was growing for two reasons firstly I dreaded having to remove its little tail and secondly I wasn’t a vegetable fan. When we went out to eat I would usually ask the taugeh to be omitted. But I think over the years I took to the taste and the task of removing its tail before cooking it. Come to think of its actually fun when you have people do it with you ..


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The last picture two pictures are of the fish balls another local favorite and ikan bilis or anchovy powder. Fishballs are made from fish meat which have been pulverized by either hand or a machine and shaped into balls. These are usually used in soups and again comes in different sizes. You can get them at most Asian stores if you’re not from Asia.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Ikan bilis powder or anchovy powder is widely used in soups, stir fries and as a food enhancer. It has no msg which is also a good thing. I realize some people can’t stand the taste or smell of anchovies but trust me the powder used in this dish doesn’t have that stinky fishy smell.. I love my anchovies.. ;)) . I am not promoting Maggi or anything but they make the best stock heeee…

For the garnishing I used scallions and Chinese parsley better known in Malay as daun sop & daun bawang and also crispy fried shallots. These two are the norm for most local dishes like friend rice, fried noodles, porridge & soups . The fried shallots are obtainable at any Asian shop but making them fresh is always the best. All you need is shallots which is sliced finely then deep fried its golden brown. Cool it and make sure its completely oil free before storing it in an air tight container. We keep ours in the fridge and it does last longer.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket the before & after if shallots ..

Fried Kuey Teow

Ingredients:-
500gms kuey teow
100gms of bean sprouts(taugeh)
10-15 pieces mustard leaves
1 large tomato chopped into chunks
3 small eggs or 2 large eggs
4-5 fishballs (slided)
200gms shrimp
200gms beef (sliced thinly)
200gms chicken breasts (sliced thinly)
1 medium sized onion (thingly sliced)
4-5 tbsp chili paste
3-4 tbsp onion paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
¼ cup soy sauce
1-2 tbsp tomato ketchup
Chicken stock (in powder form)
Ikan bilis stock (in powder form)
Salt to taste.

For garnishing:-
Scallions/green onions (daun sop & daun bawang) – thinly sliced
Fried shallots

Directions:-
1- Heat the oil fry the onions till it softens before adding the ground ingredients frying
them for about 4 or 5 minutes or till fragrant.
2- Next add in the beef and fry until its tender before adding in fish ball,chicken and
shrimp.
3- Add the soy sauce fry for a minute and add n the tomato sauce. Keep frying for 2 mins.
4-Add in the eggs breaking it down to small pieces.
5- Put in the chicken and ikan bilis stock. Keep frying for 1 min
6- Add in the taugeh, mustard leaves, followed by the diced tomatoes. Give it a stir or
two then add in the kuey teow. Mix it well so that all the ingredients blend in and the
noodles well coated.
7- Adjust the taste to your liking. Add in more chillie paste if you like it hot or more soy sauce if you like it a little salty. I used about 2 tsp of salt for this whole recipe.

If anyone does try this recipe please give me some feedback :D

Happy trying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home