Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

airport, family & all that

Another tiring day – days seem to get busier when school is about to start. Typical isn’t it. Today we sent our relatives from Indonesia back home. About 11 of us made the trip to the airport to send them which includes my very very bratty niece who seem to be brattier than usual these days – she seems to be fashioning after her ati fah *grin* anyways .. Why so many people? lets say we love going to the airport – because after we drop or pick people up we usually head down to the cafeteria where they serve lots of delicious food and now that’s its newly renovated and has addition food stalls who can resist right? The cafeteria actually caters to the staff at Changi International Airport though it is open to the public.

We had tahu goreng(fried tofu) which is really known there. It’s a Malay dish which is obviously fried tofu with shreds of cucumber and bean sprouts top of with an out of this world peanut sauce. We have had others but nothing really compares to this and seeing that we don’t always go to the airport the once in a blue moon trip we head down to the cafeteria to have it. Its one of my mom’s favorite.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobuckettahu goreng

We had the usual rice dishes where else my cousins and my niece had steak & fish & chips. Another cousin had an Indian dish called beef steak. It’s not the usual steak but it’s actually morsels of beef cooked in a special sauce which is made out of chili paste & tomato and I am not really sure what else. It’s served with thinly sliced fried potato (not chips), peas, fried egg and sliced tomatoes. It’s really good. I had the Indian fried noodles – they make really good fried noodles. It’s been a while since I had a very good plate of fried noodles. I requested for two types of noodles – the broad rice noodles or kway teow and the yellow noodles. To top it off we had ‘ice kacang’ – - its actually shredded ice in a bowl with red beans, jelly and the ice is topped with syrup and milk. I found a picture of it on the net just incase anyone’s wondering what I am talking about –

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket ice kacang

So the flight takes off and the visitors are on their way back home to Jakarta, Indonesia. The ones left are my aunts from London who will be going back home next week. The flight to Jakarta takes about an hour and 45 mins so it isn’t that long a flight. Anyways they left with a lot of luggage and it got us pretty nervous. There were 5 of them and they were allowed a combined baggage of 125kg. They obviously way beyond that and had to hand carry the rest of the things. My cousins and I were worried that they won’t be able to carry their hand luggage into the plane but it seems they made it without any glitch phew! One thing I can say about the Indonesians they can really shop till they drop and on top of all that shopping is all the gifts given to them by the family here heehee seems like Christmas came early for them.
While I was there I seem to be seeing ‘C” everywhere I turn. He is there and there was one of “C’ who keeps walking back and forth from where we were – hah talk about the stars giving you a hard time. Sometimes I think I am being teased first it’s the almost there then its all that you’re missing .. sigh .. whats a girl to do if that’s what the universe are up too right .. yeah I know drama - a little drama doesn’t hurt *grin* anyways .. I miss the guy so can you really blame me if I am still beat up about what happened? Anyways ..

My little niece was in a loving mood today. She wanted to be carried and she hugged and kissed me I felt so love – kids I think they know when you’re in need of some tender loving care or warmth. We walked around the airport and she was so intrigued by the string water fountain they had at the airport and the all the greenery that was around. There is this huge string fountain that starts at the ceiling and goes all the way down to the basement – I think any kid would be curious about it. So my little munchkin was coming up with all sorts of questions what it is why is it there where did it come from and shes only 3 ;)) . that she takes after me (oops don’t let her mommy hear this) – my curiosity *grin*. Anyways we played a little game of where is safa? She would be walking infront or next to me and I willl pretend to ask where she is lol she said im here ati fah hahaha well I pretended not to see her until she grab me and got me to carry her hahah kids what smiles and laughter they bring to you ..

I think what really fascinated her was a set of twin boys that we saw. She kept looking at them I think she must be wondering why they look so alike how is that possible – they look the same dress the same? She couldn’t take her eyes of them could be that or they are just cute little boys lol ahhh puppy love *giggles* ..

On our ride back me and sat way at the back and made a lot of noise. We sang and she insisted that we did it really loud – she shared her candy with me and made sure I didn’t bite them instead just suck on them it disappears and she actually watched my mouth movement to make sure I didn’t bite she is so cute that way .. I was actually sleepy and I told her I wanted to nap she said nooooo wait before you do let me build a house – don’t ask I don’t know what she meant but she did. With her fingers she drew a house in the air – and a detailed one at that. With windows a door a garden with flowers then she asked me how to draw a tree so I showed her she was so excited and happy about it. Then she asked what colors I wanted for the walls the window and when she was done she said ok you can sleep now. Reading about it probably isn’t as exciting as reading about it but you get the picture.

She is a really creative smart & imaginative little girl. Brilliant for her age I have to admit and very observant. I am so proud of her ;)) its just that in recent days she has been a little bratty and whiney I think because her mom is due next month and she throws tantrums more. As much as she is looking forward to a baby brother she is still seems to be a little threatened. I hope it will be ok and knowing her and the attention she will continue getting I think she will J .. And speaking of which I think I can relate to her tantrums and being bratty and whiney in more ways than one *wink* ..

So it was an overall fun day for me I would think in spite of the constant wonderings. I laughed I smiled I was happy J thankful for the little things that are always present around me…..


Photo credits:-

1- www.the-inncrowd.com/
2-
http://www.sbestfood.com/
3- http://www.stomp.com.sg/stfoodiesclub/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home