Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Recipe - Grandma's Fried Beef

So it s time for recipes .. This recipes is way overdue a weeks late I think .. Anyways, better late then never. This particular dish is from my grandmother’s time. Its actually a simple dish – it gets cooked faster if you used a pressure cooker but a little longer in the pan but either way it comes out well.

The dish in question is called Daging Goreng Baba .. translated from Malay it means mean Grandma’s Fried Meat /Beef … Daging (meat) goring(fried) baba well that’s what I call my grandma. Though it sounds like grandmas meat thast being fried (hah that sounded morbid) fried meat which is obviously grossed its actually her recipe seeing I learnt it from her lol never mind I am confusing myself ..

This dish is nice on its own, with rice or combined with the takra dhall stew. I usually have them both together but it’s entirely up to you. If I remember right, they served this recipe with briyani rice at weddings and special functions - that was a long time ago. These days, its been incorporated into the daily menu at my household at least.

As with most of my recipes, I don’t have accurate measurements. It seems people in the olden days didn’t believe in that. To them it’s all about a pinch of this, a handful of that or they poured out right of the jar. I think they used their instinct to cook but at the end of it the dish comes out just right.

I have made this dish more than a few times and I will attempt to give as accurate measurement as possible. Feel free to add or reduce the amount of spices used.

It never seizes to amaze me how they people come up with great recipes with just the simplest of everyday ingredients. This I would think can be considered that… so without further ado, presenting the recipe of the old world ..

Daging Goreng Baba or Grandma’s Fried Beef .

Ingredients:-

400gms of beef (sliced about ½ inch thick)
3 tbsp meat curry powder
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste

2 medium onions (sliced & broken into rings)
2 tomatoes (sliced about an inch thick)
3 green chilies (sliced sideways)

2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Method:-

1. In a deep skillet or omelet pan, put the beef and curry powder, ginger garlic paste and a little salt. Add about 3 cups of water and mix well. 2. Boil it till the meat becomes tender. There is also the option of using the pressure cooker but I like slow cooking like this, keep adding water until the meat is tender.

3. When the water is all dried up and the meat is tender, add in the ghee and olive oil and fry the meat for about 5 mins stirring often or until its browed. Then add the onions, fry for another 2 mins before adding the chilli. Finally add the tomatoes. Stir for a few seconds and voila its ready

When its all done it should look something like this …..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Happy trying & tasting …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home