Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

a little late night rambling ...

I think I would start today’s entry for a prayer request for a good friend and sister in Islam, Ann. The love of her life, her husband was admitted into the hospital this morning. He suffered a heart attack and is now in intensive care. I can only imagine how she and her two boys must be feeling, so please say a prayer for her and her kids for patience courage and faith and that her husband will recover fast and moved out of the intensive care. Thank You …


Today was the start of my week long school vacation. I woke up in a daze – hah I don’t even know why then I went back to sleep. I think I am coming down with something – don’t feel good, maybe it’s just the weather. Anyways I have to fight thing since I have planned some things for the week and I keep my fingers crossed that I can finished them. I am thinking the best weapon against any form of flu is Vitamin C, rest and lots of water. Sometimes I forget how to rest – I think when I am actually doing something it takes my mind off things which is always a good thing.


It rained pretty heavily today (YAY!!).. I love the rain I am sure those who know me knows that about me. I really don’t mind getting wet – it’s refreshing and I think it awakens your soul well anyways, today my mom, my aunt and a little kid who my aunt is taking care off went for a little outing. His name is Rifki and he is so tiny for a two year old but so adorable. He was shy initially but didn’t take him long to warm up. We were car buddies and he speaks with the cutest baby voice – I tried so hard to understand him and he tried hard to imitate my words … sometimes when I point at things and say stuff he must be wondering … what is sheeeee saying lol … every time he sees a fed ex van he will get excited cause his day works for fed ex – cute huh. And he loves trucks – every time the car stops next to one he will say twuck twuck ..awwwwww toddlers


The drive to town seemed like forever seeing how dark the day was. It was pouring pretty badly and the wind did not seem to slow down. But we enjoyed the drive. We took the ECP (East Coast Parkway) Expressway. I love this express only because you get to drive across the coast. You can see the beach its just really nice and it works seeing that I love the ocean, The drive on the ECP is a little longer than usual but the view is all worth it especially when you’re half way through the express and right above the sea, and you can look out into the horizon – breathtaking and right too now they building THE EYE like the ones in Malaysia and London in Singapore it will be known as the Singapore Flyer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket….


I am thinking it will offer a breathtaking view of Singapore. That is one ride I want to take as well as the DHL hot air balloon which is at Bugis. My cousin and I wanted to go on it a few months ago but unfortunately for us the weather was bad that day and we couldn’t. Maybe next time huh …


We were at a bakers & cake decorating supply store today and I got lost in my own world looking around going ooo ahh oo ahh I want this I need this I need that .. yes one of the many places I get lost at is a cake supplies store. And out of the many stores I have been too this one has the friendliest & cozy ambience and it had more baking supplies than most stores. And don’t even get me started on the book collection – if I could I would want that whole collection and the whole store in my house hahaah . There had books for making cookies, candies, cakes, wedding cakes, cupcakes you name it they have it all. I was definitely spoilt for choice.


yeah I am that much of a cake making addict – as my aunt calls it a passion for things ;)) .. My mom was saying you’re going nuts now with all these things wait till you do this full time I said you’re probably right. She had to ask like a few times before I decided what I wanted and leave. There were things that reminded me of my childhood – when I use to watch my mom bake and decorate a cake. The bear cake tins, the heart shaped cake tins, the princess cake tins .. and I saw these cute little mini wedding cake pans – its so cute – it would be great to create cookies out of it or miniature wedding cakes to be given out as wedding favors. I guess there two places that I would go too and take forever to leave – the bookstore and a cake supply store …


At the end that, we ended up with mini cupcake cups – one set of white & another set of brightly colored cups – pink with stripes. My mom bought some Grecian cake stands for the wedding cakes and I bought an ivory and copper cake coloring to test hoping that it will give me a shade of gold. They had edible gold dust but that acted as an enhancer rather than a coloring and since she was out of gold coloring she recommended that I tried to mix two colors to get the gold shade – so keeping my fingers crossed I am hoping it will be the ivory and copper. Rest assured this wont be my last visit here ;)) .. Its quiet a distance from home but I will travel for things I love and am passionate about umm err well it doesn’t just stop at things *grin* I will travel for the cute panda cub mei lan among others ..anyways ..


We went to do a little shopping for Ramadan which is just 11 days away. We like to prepare spices before hand so we can focus on other things during that month. We went to a shopping place called Mustafa Centre and you have everything and anything all under one roof. We bought mostly spices – seeing its spice central. They have lots of products from India and the prices are pretty cheap compared to other places. I was a little tired so we didn’t get many things but were coming back for sure.


We like making our own spices and it’s a must to a have stash of spices for Ramadan like briyani spice (old family recipe), rempah bubuh translated it means porridge spice but its actually used for a variety of dishes. These are all spices made specially for our traditional dishes which is a must during Ramadan especially on the first day where we have bubur gandum which is wheat porridge – it’s really not as bland as it sounds. It’s cooked with spices, coconut milk and pieces of lamb. It takes a while too cook and when done its eaten with fried shallots, scallions and lemon. Its soooo good – it doesn’t feel like the first day of Ramadan without this…


I feeling a little out of it, and I have too many things to do. I am attempting to make fresh pita/naan/flatbread. To me they are all the same serving a common purpose – stuff them with meat and vegetable – you can either go Indian, Mediterranean or Western with the filling. There is also the task of making meat & potato samosas and sardine samosas (yummmmmm)…

My nieces scrapbook is being put on hold cause I am still waiting for more pictures from my cousin but I am roughly drawing out how I would like it to come out – Got another idea. My niece and I was walking at the mall and she saw little handprints on the wall and she found it so adorable maybe I could use that idea in her scrapbook – so I am noting it down here ;))


note to self: get moon to get safa’s handprints & footprints n paint. ;))


Alrighty im done rambling for the night .. Its now 214am looks like I took more than 3 hours to complete this seeing I started this at about 11pm on September 3rd I guess my motivation , my muse is not around today , definitely not here tsk tsk tsk , not a good thing at all but hey at least I finished it – better late than never –


So I am off to la la land (only if I can) and like always I like to share inspirational quotes so this ones for today .. A simple yet profound quote …


The measurement of a person is found in the heart.

-A Latin Proverb


Nites World ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home