Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Of markets, food & special people …

Teachers and students alike survived yet another very hot and humid day in school. The weathers really going bonkers these days – if it isn’t the rain which comes for a few then leaves which in turn creates the humidity which makes you feel all wet and sticky sheesh on days like these I feel like jumping into a pool filled with iced water hahah I would probably be freezeiffa sweet & cold hahaha just kiddings after that…

School was ok like it always is well it’s the first week too soon to tell anyways. I figured I was done with the whole wedding picture sorting but alas that was not to be cause I received more today to add to my already immense collection of wedding pictures. Sorting out these pictures is pretty tedious having to pick which one to include in blogs and to share is even a bigger headache and I do hope that I finish it soon seeing its way past due date and my cousins on my case about it. While sorting out the pictures I found a video of my cousins from the wedding and it showcased their hidden talents – I never thought they could lol .. Anyways I will post that on a later blog a little suspense there.

i went to the market this evening and it seem so dead not bustling like it always is. Even the market seems that way. Don’t know why – maybe it’s the midweek or maybe it’s the evening but its just dead didn’t have the market feel but it sure made shopping a breeze seeing that there were not many people around and a lot of the stalls were closed even my favorite fruit stall was closed so no chance for ‘jemput jemput’ *sniffles* anyways ..

I went to get some ingredients to make teowchow udang or prawn teochow. I am not sure where this dish originated from but I know everyone loves it. Its got fried tofu in it with chili padi or really small and spicy chillies, and of course prawns. The base of this dish is made of chili paste & preserved soy beans. No salt is added to the dish seeing that the preserved soy beans are salty in itself and we have to wash more than usual so that it won’t be so salty. Lemon grass and galangal is added to give it fragrance. This is a simple dish eaten with rice and we sometimes have fried eggs and cucumber with it – that usually completes the meal. The thought of preserved soy bean doesn’t go down well with many but trust me when the dish is complete and you have a taste you would want to have seconds :D.

Going to the market got me thinking about the prices of certain foods how much they have increased and how much cheaper they were when I was growing up and the worry of the GST (goods & services tax) increase on things come July 1st from 5 % to 7 % ,. I hate taxes /J .. then again who doesn’t hahah anyways .. I bought the shrimp at a bargain seeing they had it on offer today – what use to be SGD11.80 a kilo for medium sized grey prawns are now only SGD7.50 per kilo and there were fresh looking prawns who could resist that right. I think what I wasn’t happy about was the price of French loaf or baguette. They cost about SGD1.20 a loaf and I was just thinking to myself I made it with that amount I could have a few loafs which is true. You could make them and freeze them and bake them when you need to use it. I know that certain delis pre bake their breads, freeze it and bake it when its needed – its legal though just a passing thought at the time. Thinking about the price of the bread brought me back to my growing up days at Telok Kurau. There was a bread shop round the corner that had freshly made French loaf and sandwich slices at the fraction of the cost. Then it was just 70 cents or 80 cents – tsk tsk tsk just look at the mark up but I guess with the times comes the price hikes.

Ummm I can smell the freshly baked bread of yesteryear. I loved going to the bread store because of the smell that it emits and you can see the guy baking the bread too. I recall a concrete oven that they use; I can see and feel the dough and flour as I write this. I remember the crust on the sandwich loafs and the remnants of the crust in a basket which they give to the birds later. The freshly baked bread are put in boxes for sale and it comes in various sizes long short and baby French loafs which were really cute – those were the days of cheap freshly made and yummy bread …

Well I finally talked to “C” well rather emailed him so we kissed and made up ;)) …… I am glad we did because as calm as I was all day I was still wreck knowing me little miss paranoid. Its funny when we finished all that it felt like a burden has been lifted and I had a skip in my step again *grin* .. I still miss him lots though anyways ..

Sometimes we forget to remind or tell people whom we care, lover or people who means the world to us how much they mean to us how much we love them. Sometimes you want to be there for them all the way through every moment be it good or bad and you wonder if they know that. If they know you want them to always be happy, see them smile and let them know that they can turn to you no matter what. And you want to know they are needed and that they matter to you no matter how busy you are in your life. You just want them to know they are not forgotten than they are thought about always and when they feel sad that you do too that their well being means a lot of you and I hope sweetness knows this ..

My cousin Omar came over with his parents today to drop some things off for my mom and he looks so much better. He has been getting treatment here in Singapore for his condition and he does seem to be doing much much better there is hope still if we just believe I think. He is so adorable these days more than usual ;)) … I asked if he wanted to stay over he said yeah but I didn’t bring a change of clothes I said when you coming then so he said asked his dad hahah poor kid he wanted to come over so his mom said maybe this weekend so we will see if I will get a house guest this weekend …

So it was a great day over all. A day of smiles of happiness and good food and the moon came out to look at it late at night bright over my house nearly full bright beautiful its beams brightening the dark clouds around it full of hope ..yep hope is sticking around and shining bright …

Nites world ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home