Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

the 1st day of ramadan as told by me

There is something about the day that tells you its Ramadan – it’s in the air the atmosphere. It is just different – I don’t really know how to describe it and this seems to happen during Ramadan. You would know because it’s not like any ordinary morning. The scents, the feel it’s all about Ramadan.


With the start of Ramadan comes sad news out of Indonesia – the earthquake in Sumatra mars the Indonesians hope of having a normal ibadah filled Ramadan. Talk about trials & tribulations in Ramadan. This was not what they had in mind I am sure but I guess when you live on an earthquake zone. Nothing is ever certain. As much as I am in tune my faith sometimes like everyone else I wonder why things happen the way that they do – why on a glorious day like today these people are faced with such a catastrophe. Maybe I shouldn’t even question instead just accept it there maybe there is something good that will come out of it – but looking at the situation what good is there and the aftershocks earlier this morning didn’t do much except to up the damage. Anyways.,I hope and pray that they be given courage & strength as they go about their lives amidst all that’s happened to them.


Today was also the kids first day of Ramadan at school. They all came in all laughing excited and refreshed. During break time, when some of the Muslim kids retreated to the class to rest – some of the other kids followed too. They opted to try out fasting for a few hours and skipped their break – I think that’s such a sweet gesture – I guess they are curious as to what fasting is. But I guess some these kids would give up food for a short nap heehee. I think not eating in the morning doesn’t have that much of an impact on the kids as in the afternoon, when the weather is warmer. At the end of the experience they related how they felt and that some would actually like to try it again tomorrow but we decided against it, a day of trying something is new is good enough I think for kids at this level. Anyways ..


By the time I got home mom has already prepared food for iftar. She made the traditional bubur gandum or wheat porridge which is a must on the first day of Ramadan and fried yellow noodles and samosas. Bubur(porridge) gandum(wheat) is a family recipe that has been around since my grandfathers time. He would cook this porridge sometimes and send them to the mosque. This dish is a mixture of wheat, some rice, coconut milk, clarified butter for frying, mutton, and special spices. Its topped off with fried shallots, scallions and a squeeze or two of lemon.


And for desert there is suji a semolina based dish cooked with milk, sugar and rose water and topped off with almonds and raisins. It’s delicious when it’s soft – whether warm or fresh out of the fridge.


Its tradition that we have all of these dishes. Through the generations that’s what its been and we wouldn’t change it. Whether its at my own home or over at my grandmother’s the three main dishes would be that – call it a Bamadhaj family tradition if you could.


Iftar which is the breaking of fast is usually held at my grandmother’s on the first day. All the family would converge there to celebrate the iftar, followed by congregational prayers and some of them would go to the mosque for the taraweeh prayers. Its always a commotion when we have such a big crowd but it’s a commotion in the good sense of course. The women folk would be in the kitchen setting the table getting the food ready while the guys do nothing hahaah though sometimes my ever sweet cousins come to the kitchen offer to help. In our household when ALL of the family gets together we would need to open an extra table seeing that we are such a big family.


My uncle always follows the tradition of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) where when the call to prayer is heard, we start off with dates followed by water and or coffee and then we do the congregational prayers before eating. A lot of the times it’s done that way and sometimes it’s, we eat then we pray. Whatever it is, the experience is always a good one. When you get clowns and jokesters under one roof you know it is going to be a riot. Amidst all the seriousness there will be the jokes and I think that’s what makes breaking fast at grandma’s such a great experience I think for one day we can put our differences aside and come together as a family and even grandma joins in the breaking of fast. The maid will wheel her out of the room so she can be with us.


Iftar here at home this was slightly different. It was just me and mom. After setting the table, frying the samosas and burning the coal to burn some incense seeing its Thursday night and turning on the radio to wait for the call we prayer we sat down at the table, inhaling the beautiful scent of the incense as it fills the house, listening to the short speech from the Muslim religious councils president of Singapore and finally the call to prayer fills the house. The fast was broken with dates and a glass of water. After the call to prayer, there is a religious song that glorifies God and this particular song has been same as far back as I can remember. We use to call it the camel song or lagu unta as kids because of the Middle Eastern infused music. We get excited over the song when we were kids and did the Egyptian walk with our arms. As we grew up the song grew with us and every Ramadan that is just one of many things we look forward too. It seems every time after the call to prayer – we expect the song, safe to say wouldn’t Ramadan without it ..


As with the familiar, there comes the unfamiliar. Something felt a little different this year, I am not sure what. Maybe it’s the changes I have endured these past few months, maybe change has really happened by having certain special people who are no longer in my life – I don’t know but there is something definitely different – does change do this to you? I don’t know but I hoping its all for the better.


As we sat and enjoyed the food, I can’t help but feel a little sad, thinking of all those who have gone before us. Realizing that they are watching over us. I thought about my late father who just the night before I dreamt about sometimes it feels like he was never ever gone. And I thought about my uncle and his family as they start this first Ramadan without their son Omar – the pain that only they can fully comprehend. I think of my sis in Islam Ann whose husband is in hospital, how she is coping, feeling and how her children are doing, my friends over seas who is on her own this Ramadan with no family members around and while these thoughts go through my mind, I am thankful for the food that I have been given and the chance to experience another Ramadan with my mom and my family later over the weekend. I guess when you really look around you – you know in so many ways you are blessed and it’s always in the little things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home