Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Back at school, prayers , babies & domestic engineers




It’s a beautiful Monday afternoon here at my desk – a box of fried macaroni by my side and my colleagues all around – all enjoying lunch, some on the phone, some just talking away – ahh yes its Monday afternoon in the teachers room and its nice to be back in school for the fourth term which will prove to be the busiest yet. The rain this morning brought much optimism to what is usually mundane Monday morning – you know the whole Garfield syndrome. Its rather relaxed – some kids decided to skip school today and the ones who were here were a little sleepy and reluctant to be taught but we teachers have a little weapon to wake them up with – no not the water hose though that would definitely work on Mondays – we had a hokey pokey dance session. That ALWAYS works – I wonder sometimes if they even noticed we use that tactic every time school starts. Once they get to dancing and singing and getting really silly they are all ready to start the day.

We usually take I easy on the kids on the first day – its always story telling time – let them to the telling their vacations and what not and that’s been the deal every time – it may seem boring and monotonous to some but when you’re with these kids its always a new story a new adventure – never a dull moment. A lot of the times the teachers’ aide and myself have to compost ourselves because the stories can get pretty silly but you know what at least the kids got their moment.


We had a theme some months back about the ocean and its inhabitants and we explained to the kids about how when you find a big shell on the beach and put your ears to it close your eyes you can hear the sounds of the sea even when you’re far from it. She actually brought to class a shell to share with the class so that everyone can hear the sound of the oceans because she said when she was at the beach it was the most beautiful sound she heard and wanted to share it with the class. I think its moments like these that makes all your hardworking in educating the kids worth while – you know no matter how little you have taught something and that is definitely something money can’t buy. Her gesture just put a smile on the face of the teachers’ aide and me J what a way to start the week J


I actually wanted to blog after getting lost in blothings land last night but I was too tired too so I figured I would do it now since I have time cause I know come tomorrow its when it will start , meetings, preps and what not. I am so glad they were kind enough to move the meeting till tomorrow hail to the principal: P As happy as I am to be back meetings on a Monday is not something me or anyone here looks forward too cause we know how it can get but anyways ..


I think the past week of school vacation was fun, interesting, a time of hard choices and decisions and not just making them but actually doing them. It was time of learning and meeting new people which is always nice – you learn so much from the people who cross your paths and I think it was time when I learnt the family secret recipe finally hahahaah , which uses magic spices to give the dish an extra umph and when I saw the power of faith & prayer in action - It was overwhelming but I am sure I will all sink in eventually. Sometimes when you pray and ask God for something or just when you’re sitting around and ask for a favor from Him, you do it not really sure if you’ll get it and sometimes you expect it to happen on the spot and when it does you forget only to get it a little later and that’s when you go wow ….


My sweet sister Ann is a little more relaxed now seeing that her beloved Rahim is out of the hospital and back home just in time for Ramadan. Once again thank you all for your prayers and concern. I am happy that she is back home because if anything Ramadan is time for families to get together bond in spiritually emotionally and it would have been tough for anyone if it was any other way. Her prayers and prayers of her friends and people who cares about her was answered – need I say more about seeing the power of prayer in action J. There have been other moments which I would rather keep private cant give everything away now can we J ..


The miracle baby was over at my place yesterday. He is only 6 weeks old but he looks like he is 3 months old. I got the chance to hang out with him and the maid when his mom and grandma went to some function and the fun part of it was he never slept while he was here – just played, poo poo a little heehee and looked around the house with much curiosity. He is so adorable smells soo nice – sometimes its like a stab to my chest cause I want one like him so much : ) while he played and looked around the maid and I had lunch and we were talking about kids .


Her name is Bik Su and she is a great help. She is 43 from Indonesia and have 5 kids two of which will be getting kids of their own soon – was like bibik aren’t you a little young to be a grandma ;)) .. she just laughed. Her youngest is now three and when she left her family to come here to work her daughter was only about 1 – she shed a tear when she told me how hard it was for her to leave – its so sad isn’t it having to leave your 3 year old in search of a better life. I have such respect and admiration for people like that – makes me wonder where they get all their strengths. She told how she called home one day and her daughter said mom I want to eat : ( I cant imagine how she felt that day .. Bik Su was also the one who cared for my late cousin together with his mom and she thought of him as her son and when it dies it was just as hard on her because she was with him night and day. But she said now that my nephew is here – she is much happier. It relieves a little of the heart ache of losing my cousin and being away from her family especially her young daughter. I guess the little angels birth brought so much joy to a whole lot of people especially my family and here is a picture of the very adorable baby Ali ..


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is Ramadan week – it starts on Thursday September 13th. Everyone is gearing up for it in their own little ways. I am contemplating where to break my fast this Thursday – Singapore with my mom and aunt or Johore with the rest of the family including my mom and aunt of course. I think going up there during the weekend would be more feasible anyways no big deal though we shall see later in the week. So I am thinking of posting for recipes that anyone might want to try for Ramadan or whenever. I think I will do that when I get home – recipe sharing my favorite things to do ..

And so that’s it, my lunch is done, time to get back to work so have a great Monday everyone and blog ya later world ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home