Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

into the sixth day of ramadan...

Today was a long and busy day and to add to that the weather wasn’t very nice to us either. It was really hot and humid today whoopee and I think today we cooked the fastest and simplest iftar meal to date which is a nice change from slaving in the kitchen after work heehee.


We were tired from the shopping and it was a little too late to cook anything elaborate mom and I decided to make roti john which is basically baguette that’s been cut into pieces and topped with a mixture of ground beef with scallions, eggs, cumin, black pepper and a touch of corn meal to give it crunch. Its then fried in a pan and eaten with sauce. Very simple and very quick and filling at it. We added some cucumbers so it deems a tad healthier heehee. We also fried some frozen sardine samosas, that with what we bought is enough for the both of us.


Actually mom and I went down to Geylang Serai which during this time is busy and bustling with bazaars, food stalls selling things for the coming Eid and food for breaking fast. We went down to get some materials for curtains. We went there before the fast but ms not so smart which is me forgot to bring the measurements for the curtains so we couldn’t get any then hence coming back during Ramadan which isn’t so bad. It served as a dual purpose – buying material and some food for the breaking of fast though not many. We walked past the stalls and saw a variety of food from kebabs, to grilled chicken, to pop corn, to snow cones, to briyani rice, fried noodles, finger foods and where do I even start with the variety of drinks they have coconut, sugar cane, bandung which is a mixture of rose syrup and milk , and the list goes on. Spoilt for choice, mom and I decided to get some boiled chick peas which is our favorite and a local malay cake called putu piring.


Putu piring looks a little flying saucer and its steamed using a stainless steel pot that looks almost like something from a sci – fi movie. I am not so sure what putu is I think its an Indian word or something but piring is saucer hence the name of the cake – seeing that its flat and looks like a saucer. The putu piring looks like this ..


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It’s made from rice flour and its filling a generous of gula melaka or palm sugar. It’s then steamed using a special kind of steamer with a cheese cloth as its cover. The process of cooking the putu piring starts with placing the rice flour on special pods flattening it, then adding the palm sugar its then covered with more flour after switch the cheese cloth is placed over it and transferred to the steamer. Screwpine or panda leaves are cut into little pieces and placed on the putu piring before it’s steamed to give it a fragrant aroma. its then covered to allow it too cook usually about a few minutes. Below are some pictures on how its done and how the putu piring looks like while on the steamer.


Before the steaming process …


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The steamer, the putu piring after its steamed ..


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The flour use to make this dessert is sometimes colored using yellow or green coloring but personally I prefer the traditional color which is white. I think some traditional cakes shouldn’t be meddled with in terms of color then again that’s just me heh.. Anyways, putu piring is served with a side of grated coconut. As all of you can see we Asians love our grated coconut with out kuihs(cakes). As far as the putu piring is concerned, the quality of the palm sugar used can really make or break the putu piring. Best grade palm sugar which is usually from Malacca and Muar really enhances the eating experience.


I think today’s visit to Geylang Serai wasn’t just a feast for the sense but I think for the soul because while you’re there you really see what you are thankful for and what fasting is really about. I saw ‘musafirs’ or travelers who don’t have money and ask from the other Muslims. I think in the spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood they help these people which is always warms my heart. I remember my late father telling me that if someone asks for something like money especially during this month don’t question their intent because they might be angels in disguise which is not impossible because this is a month of mercy, blessings and miracles. The bottom line is according to him is to give sincerely. But I guess seeing it’s Ramadan, I think they will be individuals who try to take advantage of peoples giving spirit but as my late put its they could be angels and give them the benefit of the doubt. I miss my dad .. L ….


When I was there I saw a man who was blind, another who was physically challenged , I don’t know but I feel sad when I see them and I guess when you see that you cant help but be thankful for your sense of sight, that you are able to walk. All the things that we take for granted and I am sure this is the beginning of what the soul will be fed with this Ramadan..

So that was my 6th Ramadan. My attempts to blog every day last Ramadan didn’t quite happen especially towards the end so I am hoping I can do that this year if im not too lazy or if time allows. :D


Nites world blog ya laters..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home