Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

pandas, food & the weekend

Yesterday was a beautiful Friday night, the 9th day of Ramadan, a little chilly with slight breeze and the moon at its half phase shines majestically while illuminating the sky making us city dwellers see of the stars which are really pretty. I took a stroll at the park downstairs. It’s so peaceful. Just you the greenery and the night sky. Strolling taking the beautiful night in can really recharge you clears you mind and soul…


Last night too I caught up with my cousin Dee who I haven’t spoken to in a while. Dee is my cousin who is currently in the states. She is the only who is my age though five months younger. We grew up together together with her two older sisters. Another cousin in their 30’s is my cousin Lufti and my cousin Zareen. So it’s pretty much just the 4 of us in our thirties unless you count two other cousins whom we haven’t spoken to in ages. But anyways, most of my other cousins are either in their 20’s or in their 40’s so we then 30 something’s must stick together I tell them heehee.. But its true I think when it comes to family I think age plays a part because the four of us are pretty close in spite of the distance. Yeah my cousins are scattered everywhere – Lutfi would be the closest since he lives in Johore, Deena is now in New York and Zareen is Virginia. At least we know the internet doesn’t disappoint when it comes to staying in touch with cousins. I included a picture of us cousins as kids .


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So my yesterday is in today’s blog only because Mr Flu and Miss Cough Sore Throat paid a visit and it really made me icky. I noticed my throat was hurting yesterday afternoon and my nose sniffled but I didn’t pay much attention to it until it got real bad last night I don’t enjoy getting sick especially not in Ramadan – double weakness I don’t like. My mom gave me a flu tab which made me woozey and that knocked me out pretty fast, even at morning meals I was a little out of it ..i guess I got what I wanted huh some sleep and trust it was pretty good sleep. I slept in till about 10am today and felt a little better though a tad weak. No vitamin c or tabs till this evening so I am trying to divert myself from thinking about it and hopefully it’ll go away ;))


Yesterday we completely omitted all the spicy food from our breaking of fast seeing my mom has been coughing pretty bad because of it. My mom has long bouts of cough and any spicy food makes it worst. So yesterday we had chicken porridge for breaking of fast and a local Malay dessert called ‘kuih lompang’. The chicken porridge is not really for those down with a flu or anything its actually part of our menu. Its simple it’s quick and delicious. We porridge is made using oyster sauce, lots of ginger and garlic, chicken pieces, chicken stock and mushrooms and carrots. For the topping we sprinkle some white pepper as well as sliced eggs, scallions, write shallots and a dash of sesame oil and its so yummy than I had two and half bowls … here is a picture of the chicken porridge

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There two types of kuih lompang one is the colorful one which is made from rice flour and another is the brown colored one which is made rice flour and palm sugar. The desserts are steamed in very tiny bowls. Both of them are equally dishes and like most Malay desserts they are eaten with shredded fresh coconut. I remember my grandmother making them when I was little. I can almost feel the texture of the steaming bowls; remember how she carefully pours the mixture into the bowls, and when it’s cooked how she takes them out. My grandmother usually makes the palm sugar version of it. I feel the steam almost taste it …. Ahhh memories… here is the colorful kuih lompang that I had …. Aren’t they pretty ..



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So it’s about a little after two and I waiting for my ride. I am off to my grandmothers for the weekend again yay!!!!!!!!!! My aunt uncle and cousins from Kuala Lumpur will all be there so its another full house this weekend something I always like and of course who can forget the two little angels there . ..


And before I end this entry here is a litte upate on my very favorite panda mei lan who seems to be getting goofier by the moment. The update said that she takes after her dad … hmm I wonder who I take after in the goofy department ;)).. and so here is the latest update on mei lan .. only because she was at her cutest yesterday ..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket - mei lan doing the tango ;))


Friday, September 21

Mei Lan is 60 pounds on the nose. It’s hard to believe how much she’s grown, and when you look back on those “stick of butter” pictures, it’s hard to believe that they are the same little bear. Her personality has evolved into this bizarre combination of both her parents, and until now, I would not have guessed that goofiness (thanks, Yang Yang) could be genetic. But some of her antics are clearly not a result of watching her mom …



It always makes me smile to catch a few minutes just to watch them. Visitors are amazed that keepers don’t have many pictures, or have missed specific events that have happened. Well, while most of the fun stuff is going on, we’re in the back cleaning, recording data, building toys, preparing food, etc. So unless we glance at the cameras, we miss a lot. So those few images we do get are priceless.



My favourite new behaviour from the kiddo is watching her grab mom by the butt. When Lun Lun is wandering, eating and especially climbing, the little black-and-white ninja suddenly darts out and gets a mouthful of the fur on mom’s rear and starts pulling for all she’s worth. This is entirely entertaining to observe and seems like payback for all the times mom knocked her out of the tree to get her to nurse or follow. I was also lucky enough to catch Mei Lan’s and mom’s antics with the big black culvert we put in during Mei’s birthday week. I threw a toy inside, and when Mei Lan went in to get it, Lun stood up and started pushing the culvert around so that the cub was rolling like she was in a funhouse at the carnival! Good stuff. Stay tuned for more miniature mayhem.
Jay Pratte
Giant Panda Keeper III


More updates can be found here … http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_giant_panda_cub_updates.htm


And the adorable panda cam is here …

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.php4


And so I am off have a great weekend everyone – be happy have fun be safe and don’t forget to smile always .. and


May the love hidden deep inside your heart find the love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find in your tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays


Blog Ya Laters world ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home