Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

dreams, inspirations & mankind ..

Superficiality – that’s what this world is made off. What you see is not always you get then you question your worth. You think maybe this and this or this or that. Just my opening thoughts for my blog .. Seems like reflective times are upon us again – oh what fun *rolls eyes* ..


Today marks the end of the 20th day of Ramadan – 10 more days and it’s gone. I almost forgot when we started. I think I have forgotten a lot lately. Anyways, another earthquake hit Sumatra again this morning at about 10.45am. It was 6.4 on the Richter scale. No major damage was done and most importantly no lives were lost. I think the earthquakes in Sumatra this month was on an all time high. I hope when Eid comes it will be a much better situation no earthquakes so they can celebrate the Eid in a more peaceful manner but then what is peace anyways. When one country celebrates Eid in peace another welcomes it with gun fire and suicide bombers.


I’ve been contemplating life, faith yet again. It isn’t easy being Muslim in this day and age. All the associations some of us get with terrorist can be quiet overwhelming. Call it the lack of education call it media propaganda whatever it is its never easy. Some people have been quiet tolerant while others let you know that being what you are makes you as bad as the other Muslims who perform such barbaric acts. It annoys me and I try to be as civil as I can. Trying to explain myself and just for the record I for one never make excuses for the acts of terrorism performed by the so called jihadist. I condemn terrorism in all its forms and there are many other Muslims like myself who do so.


In trying to find my way with my faith and in being a better Muslim and human being – the radical acts of some other people both Muslim and non Muslim alike makes it tough – but I guess that’s when you learn and that’s when you faith is being tested – its either you stray or you stay.


Every Tuesday night I am reminded again about the blessings I have in my life even though my life is far from perfect. It broke my heart last night seeing the less privileged on television – how little they have yet their spirits are strong. From a husband who with his chronic illnesses can’t work leaving the wife to be the soul breadwinner to the golden couple who wasn’t going to use poverty as an excuse to let them get left behind. A mother who on national television cried with her son when he said if you and dad died I have no one to take care of me – tears came from him and from her and all she said to him be strong like mom ok be strong like mom ok .. I couldn’t help but cry with them. All these special folks were part of the Islamic religious councils group of people who received help from the zakat money collected. Money is channeled to a life long learning program that helps Muslims in this country better themselves so they can get good jobs. This is of course for those who can’t afford it. The ‘golden couple’ as they were called took courses after courses and now they destined for better times and places. The husband and wife team who studied together and took the exams together now can provide a better life for their children. What an inspiration!


When I look at them and I think about Muslims whose agenda is different it makes me wonder. In recent days they have been suicide bombings in Pakistan and Afghanistan and these are the two countries that obviously propagate radical Islam. Without thought or conscience they answer ben ladens call to blow themselves up. Downright stupidity don’t you think? When you can encourage peace and prayer in Ramadan why call for a holy war? I see Muslims in my own country and Muslims in another – I am always thankful that I was brought up where I am and the teachings I received as a kid. Again we have Muslims who are struggling for something they know nothing about nor understand then we have a group of Muslims who are struggling day after day to make their lives better. From what I see the radicals take the short cut – blow themselves out – they think they are guaranteed heaven because they did for a cause – but I think not. Then you have the family who has a different kind of struggle, they take the long non easy way to make life better – that is Islam struggling to make things better for yourself and others not my means of violence but by hard work and common sense.


I haven’t really addressed this in a while not in the wider sense maybe because I am just tired of it. I am stayed away from the news for a while now – you see the same ole but when you’re online the news is just in your face – you cant help but read it.


Ramadan is a special month of blessings and miracles and I wish the people who promote violence, animosity and hatred will see that. Why blow themselves up when you can use this month do to good for mankind? Stopping violence and working in trying to secure peace and understand is crucial.


I hope someday we can see a world of peace where we love not hate respect not disrespect. Live in harmony with people of all races and religions. Love your fellow man, respect & tolerate.


Dream … it doesn’t hurt to dream of a world like that ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home