Groovy Island Girl

thoughts.rants.passions.life.family. interesting finds.good & bad times.friends.people.what matters.what doesnt.what nots - in this journey of life of an island girl in an island state.

Monday, July 02, 2007

roti john & fuji apples

Food one of my favorite subjects. My initial planof making corn muffins was scrapped seeing that I had way too many things to do today so I ended up making the simplest of dishes and a snack. Simple fast and delicious. I think I will start off with the snack.

I had some Fuji apples laying around in the fridge and seeing that I just recently bought they would make great snacks so I decided to give it a twist and instead of just eating it that way I added some cinnamon and dark brown sugar. So the sweetness and a tinge of tanginess of the apple and the strong taste of the cinnamon and light sweetness from the brown sugar makes this a very delicious and healthy snack. Cinnamon from what I read is known to bring down blood sugar so technically as sweet as this dish sounds – the cinnamon balances out the sweetness which obviously makes it healthy. Its best served chilled because by then the sugar would have melted and the flavors infused and with the taste you get the crunch of the apple yummyy .. Here is a picture of the cinnamon apple…

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I usually use green apples but you can use any apple in hand actually. Red apples, rose apples, Fuji apples whatever you have in hand. The ingredients are only 3 and the way to do is just as fast so here is the recipe ..

Cinnamon Apples
Ingredients:
2-3 apples
1-2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder

Directions:
1- Core the apples. Leave skin on.
2- Cut apples into small or large chunks
3- Put in the dark brown sugar & cinnamon and mix thoroughly until everything is coated
4 - Chill for about 30 mins.

As with sweet dish, you can adjust the amount of sugar used to suit your taste… :D enjoy ..

The other dish I made is a simple light dish called roti john. Roti in malay means bread and John well that’s someone’s name obviously. So when its roughly translated it means John’s Bread. Why its called that I don’t know – maybe he made it or something but anyways like many local dishes I have no idea where they come up with these names. Names aside these dishes are popular here and honestly speaking I have yet to find a stall here in Singapore that makes great roti john. So till I do nothing beats home made roti john.

For my recipe I changed it a little and added some cornmeal(polenta) to give it more texture and crunch and I have to say it worked. The roti john is basically French loaf or baguette with a minced meat on it. Roti john is served with sliced cucumbers and a dipping. You can have your choice of tomato ketchup or chili sauce. I favor the former. So here is the picture of the roti John followed by the recipe. You can omit the cornmeal if you like … enjoy ..

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Roti john
Ingredients:

200grams minced beef
1 ½ tbsp cumin powder
1 ½ tbsp black pepper powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp salt
1 large onion diced
1 egg
1-2 tbsp cornmeal (optional)
1 French load sliced about an inch thick
Olive oil for frying.

Directions:-
1- Mix the ground beef with all the spices till it’s fully absorbed let it stand for about
15mins.
2- Add in the diced onions and egg and mix well.
3- Add the cornmeal
4- The mixture cant be too thick nor too thin – if its too thick add in another
egg.
5- Like always the amount of salt and spices depends on your taste buds. You
can more or reduce it.
6- Next take about a table spoon of the mixture and spread on the bread slice
and fry for about 5 mins or until golden brown.Turn over fry the other side for about a

minute then remove from heat drain on paper towels and then serve.

A simple yummy dish that takes very little time to make and does not make a lot of mess either.

So whoever tries it happy trying ..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home